Since early 2012, I have been writing about the business of architecture, a subject that have since become the primary focus of Panfilo. You can review a chronological listing of business of architecture articles here, or search the below index links.
- The value of architecture
The responsibilities of the architecture profession; our value to the broader community; opportunities for mutual improvement.
- Starting an architecture business
The beginnings of an architecture business; the most important things an architect needs to get started in business; my favourite business books for architects.
- Marketing for architects
Marketing opportunities for architects; social media for the architecture profession; social media for students.
- Clients, growth and finances
The client / architect relationship; growth, fees and business finances; why engage an architect; the different forms of the architectural fee; the transition from a lean startup to a mature (but still lean) business.
- Project delivery: project delivery, cost management and construction tendering; rules for exceptional documentation; how long does architecture take; things that go wrong on site.
- Lessons to my younger self: lessons learnt over the years.
Disclaimer: while I have taken all care to ensure the accuracy of my articles, I am not a financial adviser, lawyer, accountant or loaf of bread. I strongly recommend you seek further advice from appropriate authorities.
- Mihaly Slocombe studio, photo by Tatjana Plitt.